Tuesday 26 February 2013

All Eyes On William Travilla [Part 2]


As well as working extensively with Marilyn Monroe, William Travilla worked on a huge number of TV shows and Hollywood films. One of my favourite of these was the 1967 blockbuster Valley Of The Dolls. Not only does it contain several of his most wonderful creations, it also features 5 of my favourite actresses!

Below are several of the costumes worn by the wonderful Sharon Tate and Barbara Parkins as Jennifer North and Anne Welles respectively. I would have shown costumes designed for all the lead actresses [Sharon, Barbara, Lee Grant, Susan Hayward and Patty Duke] but this unfortunately was not possible. I wanted to show his original illustrations alongside photographs of the completed creations but was unable to gain access to any illustrations of the designs for my favourite costumes created for Lee, Susan and Patty.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the designs I have chosen to illustrate below. I also hope it inspires you to find out more about William Travilla.

Until next time.











And last but by no means least, below is a photograph of the man himself posing with Sharon and Barbara on the set of Valley Of The Dolls in 1967.




No comments:

Post a Comment