Friday 22 February 2013

All Eyes on Alberto Fabiani

I've always had a real passion for the 1960s. Along with the wonderful music and films of the era I have always been inspired by the fashion, primarily the male and female mid sixties mod look. I have also been greatly influenced by the vibrant prints that were prevalent during the mid to late 1960s, as well as the innovative developments in pattern cutting techniques.

Two of my favourite designers in relation to print and pattern cutting were obviously Ossie Clark and Emilio Pucci. Recently however I have been introduced to the wonderful work of the Italian designer Alberto Fabiani.

He inspires me in a completely different way to Ossie Clark and Emilio Pucci. I love how he managed to make such wonderful garments that where both classically tailored but still had a very contemporary and modern look. He was often called 'the surgeon of suits and coats' and his work was described by Gloria Emreson of the New York Times as "a quiet marvel of architecture."

It was actually through my sister that I was introduced to this astounding designer. While visiting a local vintage fair she came upon a seemingly forgotten box of vintage dress patterns, and knowing of my passion for 1960s and 1970s dresses, she bought several for just 20p each. One was the Yellow Fabiani dress shown below [pattern number 2065]. I have since seen the very same pattern on sale via bestyvintage.com for £36. Boy did I get a bargain!

Below are a sample of some of his classic designs. I've also seen the pattern for the floor length white evening gown [pattern number 2537] on sale online for £27. It's so lovely, I'm oh so tempted to buy it! You never know, it may be the start of a Fabiani dress pattern collection!

Anyway I hope you're inspired by the beautiful designs of the great Alberto Fabiani, who was rightly referred to as "Italy's master tailor who creates wonderfully flattering suits, distinguished coats and exquisite evening gowns."














No comments:

Post a Comment