Sunday 10 April 2011

All Eyes On Celia Birtwell









As with Barbara Hulanicki, Celia Birtwell is one of the designers who has always inspired me. Probably most famous for the striking designs that graced her late husband Ossie Clark's wonderful clothes in the 1960s and 1970s, Celia has recently begun designing equally exciting clothing for Top Shop and has diversified into furnishings. Above are some of my favourite examples of her work from her Ossie Clark designs upto her recent Top Shop creations. I hope you find them as inspirational as I do.

As with the illustrations created by Barbara Hulanicki, I especially love Celia's drawing style. I find her illustrations wonderfully stylised and somewhat childlike and clearly identifiable as a Celia Birtwell creation. Although they were simply drawn to illustrate a surface pattern design idea, I feel her illustrations are works of art in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment